Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Warning: Missing argument 2 for forum_names_anon() in /home/integud3/public_html/josephsmithfoundationorg/guardiansofanaltar/wp-content/themes/Avada-Child-Theme/functions.php on line 30

Warning: Missing argument 2 for forum_avatar_anon() in /home/integud3/public_html/josephsmithfoundationorg/guardiansofanaltar/wp-content/themes/Avada-Child-Theme/functions.php on line 49

Warning: Missing argument 2 for forum_names_anon() in /home/integud3/public_html/josephsmithfoundationorg/guardiansofanaltar/wp-content/themes/Avada-Child-Theme/functions.php on line 30
    Keymaster
    #5264 |

#1) Statements by Presidents of the Church on novels

27) NOVELS: What have the prophets counseled concerning fictional books and classics? What counsel has been given concerning novels?

The historical context is very important when reading the above quotes and also remember that many novelists were baptized by Wilford Woodruff in the St. George Temple. They along with the Signers of the Declaration, many Presidents of the United States and other light bearers in history, appeared and called for their temple work to be done. Jane Austen, Charlotte Bronte, Sir Walter Scott, Robert Burns, Oliver Goldsmith and William Makepeace Thackeray are only a few of those who came.

The question then becomes what makes a pure novel, a true classic of Zion? Why can novels be dangerous? The world has it’s own list of “classics”, what should our standard be? How do we discern between the novels prophets have warned against versus those that inspire us to become more like Christ? This will be our discussion!

#2) The following are three movies my father selected as examples of edifying classics. If you are able, watch any of the movies below before the meeting. Some of the principles taught are self-control, discipline, refinement, honor, integrity, sacrifice and loyalty.

• Sense and Sensibility (1995)
    • The Inheritance (TV Movie 1997) (Be sure to get the edited version from Feature Films for Families. The edited parts included various slang phrases and mild crudeness. In this case the Feature Films for Families version helps eliminate detraction and leaves a better spirit.)
    • The Ghosts of Dickens’ Past (1998)

#3) If you yet have time, you may also be interested in reading the following short biographical chapters on Mark Twain and Nathaniel Hawthorne. The character of an author influences his/her work and Mark Twain and Nathaniel Hawthorne were no exceptions.
    Mark Twain
    Nathaniel Hawthorne

These are just a few resources to help prepare for our discussion. This is a topic I have been studying and considering a good deal in the last few months and I will appreciate your thoughts and insights! I am also excited to see any other resources you may bring to the discussion!

Warning: Missing argument 2 for forum_names_anon() in /home/integud3/public_html/josephsmithfoundationorg/guardiansofanaltar/wp-content/themes/Avada-Child-Theme/functions.php on line 30

Warning: Missing argument 2 for forum_avatar_anon() in /home/integud3/public_html/josephsmithfoundationorg/guardiansofanaltar/wp-content/themes/Avada-Child-Theme/functions.php on line 49

Keymaster
    #5265 |

Here is a movie review of The Inheritance my mom wrote several years ago. http://zionvision.com/movies/blog/2011/09/04/the-inheritance-1997/

Participant
    #5268 |

These sound great!!! Thank you so much, I love the sweet spirit you bring! This is so motivating for me! 🙂

Participant
    #5269 |

After reading the chapters on Mark Twain and Nathaniel Hawthorne, I learned so much I never knew!
    For example, Mark Twain wrote a fictional book called “Letters from the Earth,” which is essentially a compilation of letters from Satan to Adam Michael in heaven. As I was looking for quotes on Mark Twain, a read part of this book. Needless to say, it is from a completely dog-eat-dog, natural selection, and cruel type of view. God is a brainless loser who enjoys tormenting people and animals for no reason. How Mark Twain viewed God is explicitly shown in his writings, and will influence our beliefs if we read through an author’s books with our brains turned off, letting his opinions carve our minds.

Below is one quote that I really thought was provoking, placed at the end of the Mark Twain chapter:

“But if the novel justifies lying for the protagonist, what can we say for the author?” (Apostate, pg. 247)

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by Profile photo of Leah Leah.

Participant
    #5275 |

Wow! I learned so much from those chapters! Thank you! I can’t wait for the discussion.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.